The Karmic Taskmaster, Saturn, takes a spin backward in sidereal Capricorn on May 23.
This particular retrograde phase of Saturn is very significant. The lessons Saturn has slowly shared with us over the past year are now up for a review!
Currently what’s in question with this retrograde phase are the Saturn ruled signs, Capricorn and Aquarius, and the areas of life that these two zodiac signs represent in the birth chart. Especially Capricorn. You can calculate your Vedic birth chart for free here .
During this retrograde period (see below for dates) Saturn will provide a major opportunity to learn the Karmic lessons that are most valuable for our souls journey in this lifetime.
Saturn will remain retrograde until mid-October. In the meantime take some time to get your Saturn related issues straightened out, if you have not already done so.
Saturn: What's the Big Deal?
It is very important to understand the planet Saturn before considering just how his influence and this lives.
A brief brush-up on the key indications of Saturn:
▪ Saturn is depicted as a tall, senior person who walks with a limp (Saturn does rule the legs!) and may carry a cane.
▪ Saturn is associated with tradition, time, old patterns (and the need to break down areas where we are stuck!) and structure.
▪ Saturn is the planet that represents our Karma in this lifetime. He is the servant of the planets, and therefore represents hard work.
▪ Saturn can also signify restrictions - one way to think of Saturn is protection through limitation.
▪ Saturn carries the wind element, wherever he goes he brings Vata (wind) energy. Capricorn, Pisces, Cancer, and Libra may feel this wind influence more strongly than the other rising signs during the current Saturn transit. Dry skin, scattered thoughts, anxiety, achy joints and disrupted digestion and elimination may be occurring if the wind element in the body is disrupted due to a Saturn transit.
Ultimately Saturn wants us to do our duty. Be responsible. Accept our physical and material limitations with humility. Understand and accept that death, decay and dissolution is inevitable.
Consider a consultation with me if you want to deeply understand the key lessons of Saturn in your birth chart and the current retrograde movement of Saturn. How it has the potential to influence your life experience, and the critical life lessons that Saturn is asking you to be responsible for in the five months that Saturn is retrograde.
Shravana Nakshatra and Saturn Retrograde
For the duration of the retrograde phase, Saturn will be in Shravana nakshatra. This is the nakshatra that is symbolized by the ear and connects to both internal and external listening, teaching and learning. The house that Capricorn represents in your birth chart can indicate the areas of life that may need to be re-examined and what teachings need to re-visited during this retrograde phase.
Remedies for Saturn and Key Dates for Your Calendar
As I write this article, on Saturday, which is Saturn’s day, I want to share with you some simple remedies you can do if you are experiencing difficulties in any of the areas life I described above.
▪ Be humble.
▪ Wear the colors of Saturn, which are black or dark blue, on Saturday.
▪ Volunteer at a food bank or food kitchen that feeds the under-served.
▪ Volunteer at a local Senior Center.
▪ Offer black sesame seeds to crows
▪ Rise early, put on your black or dark blue work clothes and do your least favorite chores before anything else. Remember, Saturn is the servant!
Mark Your Calendar
Saturn Retrograde: May 23, 2021 to October 10, 2021
Saturn turns retrograde in sidereal Capricorn, 19:21 in the nakshatra of Shravana.
Saturn turns direct in sidereal Capricorn, 12:43 in the nakshatra of Shravana.
Get all the latest New and Full Moon Horoscopes + the latest astrological news in your inbox a few times a month. Sign up here
Want to learn more about Vedic astrology? Check out my book - Vedic Astrology for Beginners here.